Hillcrest High School
September 25, 2019
Students academic growth and success is propelled through accountability at home combined with teachers instilling anacademic growth minset for each student. HHS is starting a new project called HUSKY STRONG YOUTUBE VIDEOS. Our first video is a must watch and contains information on how parents and students can navigate school successfully. https://youtu.be/8KFfMiD_XSQ
Links and instructions from the school about your student’s grades and classes can be helpful and can help answer the questions about how your student’s are doing day in and day out. While the final grades should always be posted in Skyward, teachers also use a secondary management system called Canvas. Many teachers are using Canvas so parents should know how to receive information from both. Please see below for resources on both of these systems.
- I want to know how to check on my student’s grades, attendance and other helpful information:
- Now that I have logged into my Skyward account I want to receive updates about attendance, grades and progress reports:
- I want to check my student’s grades on Canvas along with assignment progress, teacher announcements, and following the courses my student is taking:
Principal, HHS 801-826-6001
PTSA Spirit Day:
PTSA Spirit Day at Teriyaki Grill!
Wednesday, Sept 25th
All Day - 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
7194 S. Union Park Ave.
(By the Pie and Walmart)
15% of sales will go to Hillcrest PTSA - you’ll need to show a flier or picture of the flier. (FLYER IS ATTACHED TO THE EMAIL) PTSA Flyer
Senior Jostens Cap and Gown Information:
Dear Senior Class Student and parent(s):
Jostens, our official cap and gown and class ring supplier, recently visited Hillcrest High School to collect orders for graduation regalia and class rings.
If your student missed Jostens on order day or you would like to order additional products, please call 1-800-567-8367 or visit www.jostens.com to place your order. To take advantage of Jostens lowest prices of the year, please complete your order before December 1st, 2019. Thank you!
Community School Parent Meetings and Mobile Clinics:
Husky Strong Parent Meetings
Rigor. Relevance. Relationships
This year we will continue to have our Husky Strong Parent Meetings covering important topics and providing resources to parents/guardians to help support the academic success of all students. These meetings will be held on the third Tuesday of the month from 6:00-7:00pm.
We have also added youth development field trips and special parent and student meetings for specific target groups.
Our community school will also host multiple mobile clinics such as: Community Nursing Services’ immunization and “Say Boo to the Flu” clinic and Utah Partners for Health’s vision and medical clinic.
- Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:00-10:00am
Latino Parent Group, Room: ACR
- This meeting is with a small group of Latina/o parents to discuss the school’s parent meeting with Latino families in October. The group will meet with the Community School Facilitator and ALS Facilitator to discuss strategies to increase outreach and engagement of Spanish-speaking Latino families from Hillcrest.
- Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
“Let’s Talk:” Community Meet and Greet at Canyons Crossing Apartments*
- “Let’s talk” is an informal opportunity for our Refugee families from Hillcrest H.S. to meet Hillcrest’s Principal Greg Leavitt and other school personnel. There will be a brief introduction by Principal Leavitt and the opportunity for a question and answer session.
- Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
Preparing for College, Room: A105
- This workshop encourages families to discuss the importance of college with their teens. Parents review the importance of a student’s grade point average, class rank, course sequence when applying for college and scholarship.
- Wednesday, October 2, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
Supporting Dreamers in their Pursuit of Higher Education at Midvale Elementary
- Join members of the Dream Center at the University of Utah for a review of relevant policies, scholarships, and resources that supports undocumented students in their pursuit of higher education.
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
“Let’s:” Community Meet and Greet at St. Therese"
- “Let’s talk” is an informal opportunity for our Latina/o families from Hillcrest H.S. to meet Hillcrest’s Principal Greg Leavitt and other school personnel. There will be a brief introduction by Principal Leavitt and the opportunity for a question and answer session.
- Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
Skyward Parent Training, Room: AT 200
- This workshop discusses the importance of parents learning how to utilize Skyward to access student grades, attendance, track assignments, and communicate with teachers.
- Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
Annual FAFSA Completion Night, Room: Hillcrest Library.
- Seniors, it’s FAFSA Time! Join us for Annual FAFSA Completion Night. FAFSA Representatives, the college access advisor, and counselors from Hillcrest will be available to answer questions about the FAFSA and help complete the application. This event will be held in English and Spanish. For more information, contact Olivia Cordova at (801) 826-6092.
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
Communication & Connection with Your Teen, Room: AT 200
- This workshop discusses effective ways to strengthen communication with your teen. We will have counselor Ms. Stephanie Johnston discuss recognizing the signs and symptoms of risky behaviors and helping your child.
- Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:00-7:00pm
Choose Gang Free Parent Workshop, Room: AT 200
- Choose Gang Free provides prevention and intervention for students and youth across Salt Lake County. They provide education for students, parents, teachers and communities on the effects of gang membership, recruitment and means to protect children from experiencing these things. Learn how to identify possible gang membership, if your child may be going down that path and how you can help them or any child in need.
- TBA 6:00-7:00pm
“Let’s Talk:” Community Meet and Greet
- “Let’s talk” is an informal opportunity for our Pacific Islander families from Hillcrest H.S. to meet Hillcrest’s Principal Greg Leavitt and other school personnel. There will be a brief introduction by Principal Leavitt and the opportunity for a question and answer session.
- TBA 6:00-7:00pm
“Let’s Talk:” Community Meet and Greet
- “Let’s talk” is an informal opportunity for our Black families from Hillcrest H.S. to meet Hillcrest’s Principal Greg Leavitt and other school personnel. There will be a brief introduction by Principal Leavitt and the opportunity for a question and answer session.
- Refugee Student Group
- August 28, 2019
A-lunch and B-lunch
- August 28, 2019
- Pacific Islander Student Group
- September 13, 2019
- A-lunch (11:11-12:15pm)
- Latina/o Student Group
- October TBA
- Black Student Group
- November TBA
Youth Development Field Trips
- Refugee Student Group Field Trip
SLCC Culinary Arts Institute
Friday, October 4
- Latina/o Student Group Field Trip
- Black Student Group Field Trip
- Pacific Islander Field Trip
ELD Basic Computer Skills Lab
September 17, 19, 24, and 26
B-108 (Computer Lab)
ELD Students Level 1-2
B-108 (Computer Lab)
Refugee Parent Group (in partnership with IB/NHS Tutors)
Canyons Crossing Apartments
Medical & Vision Mobile Clinics
Mobile medical clinic by Utah Partners for Health will visit Hillcrest High School on October 23rd, 2019 from 8:00-3:00pm. Free Primary Medical Care Services Include: High Blood Pressure Care // Diabetes Screening and Care // Anxiety and Depression Care // Pap smear and Clinical Breast Exams // Cholesterol Screening// Acute or Chronic Care. Call for your free appointment! 385.204.6257
For vision only: If your child needs glasses, this is the opportunity for them to have an eye exam and get a FREE pair of glasses. All they need to do is pick up a form from Dr. Martinez in B106. The vision clinic will be October 23 from 8:00-3:00pm. Parent/guardian permission to visit the mobile clinic is required. Space is limited to 25 students.
Say Boo to the Flu
“Say Boo to the Flu” Clinic will be at Hillcrest High School on October 22nd from 3:30pm-7:00 pm in A102. This event is open to all families, including staff and faculty at the school. If you have insurance, your insurance will be billed. Please bring your insurance card with you. If you do not have insurance- the shot will be FREE. CNS will donate $2 per eligible immunization back to Hillcrest!
Teacher Disclosure Information:
Hillcrest High School teacher disclosures are all now on our school website at https://hhs.canyonsdistrict.org/index.php/faculty-staff/faculty/faculty-alphabetic
To access the disclosures, navigate to the STAFF tab at the top of the website. It will give you a pull down menu. Click on Faculty-Alphabetic. Once there, you will see, listed below, teachers names alphabetically. Next to their name you will see a column for Disclosures. Click on those links, in that column, to pull up their disclosures. Since teachers can have multiple subjects, all of their disclosures will be found in that single link. You may have to scroll through their different disclosures to find the one that pertains to your student.
HHS Social Media:
Follow Hillcrest High School on Social Media!
Facebook: Official Hillcrest High School
SBO Instagram: @hillcrestsbo
Make sure to read the latest news articles and view photo galleries at
HHS Job Openings:
(1) Cafeteria Cashier Position @ 3 hours per day
- September 25th, 7:15 am or 2:30pm, Freshman Class Officer Meeting
- September 25th, 3:30 pm -5:00 pm, Sophomore Football vs. Murray
- September 25th, 6:00 pm-8:00 pm, Swim Team Parent Meeting @ AT200
- September 25th, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm, Football Team Dinner @ Cafeteria
- September 26th, 7:00am-7:45am, ELD Basic Computer Skills @ B106
- September 26th, 2:30pm-6:00pm, CVHS Testing @ S101
- September 26th, 3:30 pm-5:30 pm, Girls Soccer @ Skyline High School
- September 26th, 3:30pm-5:30pm, Girls Tennis @ Highland
- September 26th, 5:15pm-6:00pm, Navajo Language Class @ A105
- September 26th, 6:00pm-8:00pm, Volleyball vs. Skyline High School
- September 27th, NO SCHOOL
- September 27th, Cross Country @ Park City
- September 27th, Robotics Team Trip
- September 28th, Robotics Team Trip
- September 30th, 7:00 am-8:30 am, 11th Grade IB Career Program Mtg @ ACR
- October 1st,3:30 pm-5:30 pm, Girls Soccer @ Murray High School
- October 1st, 6:00pm-8:00pm, Volleyball vs. East High School
- October 2nd, Girls Region Tennis (TBD)
- October 2nd, 6:00 pm-7:00 pm, Dream Center Presentation @ Midvale Elementary