Hillcrest High School
September 4, 2019
HHS’s vision is about Rigor, Relevance and Relationships. It is my hope that all interactions with HHS, at any level, show our sincere desire to build and foster relationships while also creating meaningful learning while preparing students to be college and career ready.
During our welcome back assembly, Administration shared with students our theme: “Know Your Name/Face/Story”. I showed the student body some pictures of my childhood including my senior year picture. We all have a story and I have asked teachers to share their story with our students. We have encouraged our faculty and staff to reach out to students and learn their story. This will help build the trust we want our faculty and staff to have with our student body.
We also talked with students about emotional support and safety. In an upcoming classroom visit, every student will be encouraged to download the Safe UT App. A how-to video can be found on our web page. Every parent should ask their student if they have this app downloaded. If students see something, they should say something and the Safe UT App gives them a safe, anonymous platform to use for reporting.
This year, we will continue our positive approach to behavior in the following ways:
- Starting September 6th, every student with perfect attendance for the week will be rewarded with a free taco from a food truck at our “Taco Friday” celebrations. This will continue every Friday into October. All students need to do is show an administrator their perfect attendance for the week. (See Below for more Details)
- Weekly, students will have an opportunity to be rewarded with school spirit swag and food gift cards for being a great Husky who represents responsibility, respect and safety. This incentive will be done by our student body officers who will be visiting classes weekly.
- Our new “Husky Cards” will be handed out by teachers each day to students who demonstrate what it means to be a Husky i.e represent responsibly, respect and safety. The Husky Cards can be used in our Husky Hut for snacks, drawings and other items.
- Husky Grams are notes sent home by teachers to students and promote positive feedback or encouragement.
As we are at the beginning of the year, I encourage you to review the attendance policy with your student (On the Hillcrest website main page under the “Students and Guardians” tab) and remind your student(s) of the importance of school attendance. As always, please reach out to me with any questions, comments, or concerns that you may have. I am happy to help anyway I can.
Principal Greg Leavitt
Picture days are Tuesday and Wednesday (September 10th & 11th) during student’s Social Studies classes. Students will be brought to AT200 during the assigned Social Studies class time, have pictures taken, and leave with their student IDs. Students who do not have a Social Studies class may have pictures taken between classes and during lunches. Order sheets for additional prints are available.
Parking Update and Important Information:
This year, and until the new building is finished, students will no longer be able to park in the driver’s education range. This will now be exclusively for staff and visitors. Student parking will be in the triangle lot off Husky Drive and also the back parking lot in the northwest section of the property. Students must have a parking permit to park in the parking stalls close to the school. Fifty stalls have been painted with small dots, which will allow cars without permits to park. Students who chose not to purchase a permit, must park in those designated stalls marked with a small dot or they will be ticketed. The “free” free parking stalls are 1st come 1st serve. Parking permits will not be sold to students who have not cleared their NG’s.
Student May Park In:
- Parking lot off of Husky drive (southwest corner of the property. Students will enter and exit this parking lot from Husky Drive.
- The main rear parking lot (410 parking stalls), formerly our baseball field. Students will access this lot by driving along the west property line to the rear of HHS. Students must enter and exit this parking from 700 east.
Faculty May Park In:
- The driver’s ed range, which will be designated for faculty parking. (This parking lot is closed at 3:30)
- The west side of the school behind the shop fences.
- The back parking lot between AT building and Cafeteria.
Visitor Parking and Parent Drop Off
- Visitors will park in the driver’s ed parking lot as designated. Parent drop off will be at the west end of the driver’s ed range.
- Parents entering the HHS parking lot from 700 East will drop off students and must exit on to Husky Drive. It is one lane only exiting the property on Husky Drive.
- Parents entering (two lanes for entry) HHS parking lot from Husky Drive will drop off students and must exit onto 700 East.
Safety and Time Considerations:
- Due to these traffic constraints, drivers should add 20 minutes to their time schedule.
- When entering and exiting on to 700 East, drivers should remain patient and watch carefully for pedestrians.
- All drivers should give busses and construction vehicles the right of way as they exit onto 700 East.
- The driver’s ed range must be cleared by 3:30pm on days driver’s ed will be held. These will be announced via the school PA system.
- When exiting the back parking lot onto 700 East, drivers should watch for cars coming from the parent drop off lane turning left on to 700 East.
- Depending on traffic patterns and the number of cars exiting onto 700 East, HHS may choose to limit drop off traffic in the afternoon to one direction. This would likely mean parents picking up students would be required to enter on 700 East and exit on to Husky Drive.
Safe Walking Routes:
- Safe walking routes are shown in red on the parking & traffic flow map. Students should use cross walks and designated walking areas.
- Students in the rear parking lot should use the gravel pathway to the rear of the building and enter the school through the cafeteria.
- For evening activities the public should use the rear parking lot and enter the gym area through the North gym doors.
Finally, HHS expects your patience and cooperation. Students who do not have parking passes or disregard safe and reasonable parking and traffic rules will not be allowed to bring a vehicle to school.
I.B and A.P Parent Information:
Attention all AP and IB students and parents:
As I promoted last year, College Board who is the company over Advanced Placement (AP) exams has changed their ordering process. This testing year, 2019-2020, ALL students will need to decide whether or not to take and order their exams by the preferred order date of November 1, 2019.
PLEASE BE MINDFUL THAT ALL STUDENTS WHO REGISTER FOR THEIR EXAM AFTER NOVEMBER 15, 2019, will be assessed an additional $40.00/exam late fee. In accordance to the late fee, a $40.00/exam cancellation fee will be assessed for any exam order cancelled and/or unused after Nov 15, 2019. The absolute final day to cancel or order an exam with this additional fee is March 1, 2020
In addition to ordering your exam on line through College Board, students will sign up to pay for their exam on Total Registration. Unfortunately, some of the questions may be redundant; but this will allow you to pay for the exam, indicate whether or not you need a fee waiver, and help us to determine if your student has AP and IB conflicts. You will need to go to totalregistration.net/450193 to pay for your exam by November 15, 2019.
Again, your student’s AP and IB teachers will be providing them with the information on how to order their exams and pay for their exams in about three weeks. Please ask your student for this information as well.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Huff at 801-826-6119.
AP Test Payment Schedule:
2019-2020 AP Test Payment Schedule
Registration Window is September 5 – November 1, 2019
Fee per Exam During this window - - $98
AP Late Fee Occurrence November 16 – March 6
Fee during the Late Window - - $138
***Refunds from November 16 – May 16 will be $58
Registration for AP exams is now to be completed on-line with AP/College board through join codes. STUDENTS WILL NOW REGISTER WITH THEIR AP or IB TEACHER IN THEIR CLASSES!
In order to pay for your AP exams, you will still use Total Registration:
HHS Social Media:
Follow Hillcrest High School on Social Media!
Facebook: Official Hillcrest High School
SBO Instagram: @hillcrestsbo
Make sure to read the latest news articles and view photo galleries at https://hillcresthuskies.com/
- September 3rd, 2:30 pm -5:00 pm, Musical Rehearsals
- September 3rd, 7:00 pm-8:00 pm, Music Department Parent Meeting @ Auditorium
- September 4th, 2:30pm-5:00pm, Musical Rehearsals
- September 4th, 7:00pm-9:00pm, Performing Arts Parent Meeting
- September 5th, 11:00am-1:00pm, Club Rush @ Both Lunches
- September 5th, 2:30pm-6:30pm, CVHS Online Testing @ S101
- September 5th, 2:30 pm -5:00 pm, Musical Rehearsals
- September 5th, 3:30pm-5:30pm, Sophomore Football @ Highland
- September 5th, 4:00pm-6:00pm, Girls Soccer vs. Murray @ East Midvale Elementary
- Septebmer 5th, 5:00pm-7:00pm, Mini Cheer Clinic @ Hillcrest
- September 5th, 6:00pm-7:00pm, Refugee Parent Meeting @ Canyons Crossing Apartments
- September 5th, 6:00pm-8:00pm, Volleyball vs Murray @ Murray High
- September 5th, 6:30pm-8:30pm, Football Team Dinner @ Cafeteria
- September 5th, 7:00pm-10:00pm, Girls Tennis Leaves for St. George
- September 6th, 11:00am-1:00pm, Club Rush @ Both Lunches
- September 6th, 2:30 pm -5:00 pm, Musical Rehearsals
- Sepember 6th, 7:00pm-9:00 pm, Football vs. Highland @ Hillcrest
- September 7th, 8:00am-3:00pm, Shakespeare Team Rehearsal
- September 9th, 9:00am-9:45am, Jostens Senior Assembly @ Auditorium
- September 9th, 2:30 pm -5:00 pm, Musical Rehearsals
- September 10th, Life Touch Picture Day
- September 10th, 2:30 pm -5:00 pm, Musical Rehearsals
- September 10th, 3:30pm-5:30pm, Girls Soccer vs. Highland @ Highland
- September 10th, 3:30pm-5:30pm, Girls Tennis @ Cottonwood
- September 10th, 6:00pm-8:00pm, Volleyball @ Cottonwood
- September 10th, 7:00pm-8:00pm, Music Department Parent Meeting @ Auditorium
- September 11th, Life Touch Pictures
- September 11th, 2:30 pm -5:00 pm, Musical Rehearsals
- September 11th, 5:00pm-7:00pm, Shakespeare Team Rehearsal