Hillcrest High School
October 10, 2018
In this Husky Strong message you will find information on attendance, APP, picture retakes and school events.
National data shows that students who miss school, more than 10 days a year, regardless of the reason are at risk for not graduating. It is understood that this is a national indicator. However attendance norms at HHS are on the rise.
2017-18 (Last year): Week of 9/25/17 to 9/29/17
2018-19 (This year): Week of 9/24/18 to 9/28/18
HHS has promoted perfect attendance by giving away about 1800 tacos for perfect attendance last year. This year we again have perfect attendance taco Friday’s. Thank you parents and students for your attention to attending class with more diligence.
Students who have attendance marks in the current quarter need to meet with teachers to clear the marks before they turn into NG’s. An NG is a no grade that blocks credit for the class. Students who have more than four attendance marks in a class after the quarter ends, (i.e. tardies, absence or way late) will receive an NG that negates the grade/credit until cleared. To clear these NG's student will need to complete one or more of the NG make-up options dependent on the total number of NG’s. The options are outlined below and found in the full HHS attendance policy, which is on our web page. The best path is to attend school but if students receive attendance marks, the next best path is to make them up during the current quarter. After the current quarter is completed and NG’s have not been made up, students will be faced with a more time intensive path. Parents we hope you look at our new web page. You will see our attendance policy (scroll down on front page) and other valued information. http://hhs.canyonsdistrict.org
Thank you parents, APP is going well and reports indicate that students have more time for schoolwork. Time is coupled with teacher support allowing students to attend help sessions with teachers throughout the week during APP. Efforts to be strict on students in the hall are continuing. We are making sure students have planners with stamps or grade cards that indicate they are heading to the right place. Students who don’t have a planner or a grade card will need to remain in 1st period. Parents should look at student planners and insist their student has teachers stamp their planner for extra help, test retakes, assignment make-ups, etc. Parents who feel teachers are not following APP school norms should contact the teacher through email. It is our hope that all students get the same support during APP. To that end, please communicate your concerns if necessary.
Picture retakes are Thursday, October 11 in AT200. Any student without an updated/current picture on Skyward need to have pictures taken. If students purchased a LifeTouch picture packet and want to retake pictures, packet needs to be returned to LifeTouch before retakes are taken. Classroom halls will be scheduled for picture retakes or before school beginning at 7:10 AM.
- Oct 10, 7:00 a.m. PSAT Test in AT200
- Oct 10, 5:00 p.m. School Community Council
- Oct 10, 6:00 p.m. Tennis Banquet in Stem Building
- Oct 11, 7:00- 12:00 p.m. Life Touch Re-takes (AT200)
- Oct 11,12 & 13, All State Choir
- Oct 11, 6:00 p.m. Volleyball Senior Night @ Hillcrest
- Oct 12, Young Lawyers Debate Tournament @ East High School
- Oct 12, Lunch time Free Taco’s for attendance
- Oct 12, 7:00 p.m. Football @ Hunter High School
- Oct 13, 8:00 a.m. Music Department Mattress Fundraiser @ HHS Small Gym
- Oct 15, 1:00 p.m. Columbia University Visit @ A102
- Oct 16-17, Pathway to Professions @ Expo Center
- Oct 16, 6:00 p.m. Volleyball @ Kearns High School
- Oct 17, Cross Country Championships @ Sugarhouse Park
- Oct 19-20, Fall Recess
- Oct 22-26, Red Ribbon Week
- Oct 22, 6:00 p.m. Baseball Meeting in HHS Cafeteria
- Oct 23, 2:30 p.m. After School Credit Recovery Begins B Hall Lab
- Oct 23, 6:00 p.m. Volleyball @ Granger High School
- Oct 23, 2:45 p.m. School of Life Begins
- Oct 25, 7:00 p.m. Haunted House in Gym Area
- Oct 27, 7:00 p.m. Husky Howl Dance in Large Gym
- Oct 29, No School for Students
- Oct 31, All IB Exam Fees are Due