Hillcrest High School
August 15, 2018
Welcome to the 2018-19 school year at HHS. We are excited to welcome the students back next week. We know you send your students to school trusting they will be safe and educated. Challenge accepted! We believe in our students’ abilities to make sound decisions and excel in achievement.
I hope you will read the information in our Husky Strong message directly from me. My intent is to be helpful and transparent about the events and needs of HHS. I will also provide information on how parents can best support our main goals of safety, relationships, and classroom rigor and relevance.
This Husky Strong will talk about the following topics:
- Safety and awareness
- APP(Academic Preparation Period) & New bell schedule
One topic on everyone’s mind is school safety given HHS is under construction. Currently, parents should be aware that construction trucks will be sharing both the Husky Drive entrance and the 7th east entrance with patrons. Construction trucks will be in the far south lanes of the south parking lot going back and forth from the old soccer field. Those trucks will also be traveling in the west property but cement barriers will divide the traffic. We have asked that constructions traffic be halted during student arrival and exit times to and from school.
Parking for students and parents will remain in our south parking lot until Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving, students, parents, and teachers will need to use the temporary parking on the northwest side of our property. This was formerly our baseball field. Instructions for access to this lot, along with drop off and pick up rules, will be provided. Changing parking from the front of the building to the back will also change school entrance and exit doors. Parents and students will receive instructions and maps for these upcoming routines. A plan for busing drop off and pick up will also be provided.
Safety & Awareness:
Keeping our students safe, collectively and individually, should be a full time commitment for all of us. HHS is committed to providing many avenues of preparedness and safety checks so we are prepared to support individual family needs as well as school wide threats. Last year we held a few open forums for parents and students that allowed for open comments on school safety. These forums communicated to us feelings of vulnerability by students and parents.
Parents and students should be aware that one of our most important responsibilities is to be aware of and report if something seems off. HHS will be encouraging all students to download the Safe Utah App. This app allows parents and students to report troubling events, comments, or sightings. After the report is generated, the school is contacted. Last year HHS investigated over 100 reports - from suicidal thinking to student threats and unsafe behavior. School administrators and counselors will be training students on the Utah Safe App in our opening assemblies.
Parents and students have communicated that the nature of emergency drills need to be respectful and serious. Students will be involved in practicing fire drills, lock down drills and earthquake drills. We welcome feedback from the community on how teachers and students respond.
New Bell Schedule:
HHS will be establishing a new bell schedule this year. This schedule will accommodate room for the new Academic Preparation Period (APP). The bell schedule will be:
|1st/5th Period||7:50 - 9:05|
|APP||9:10 - 9:50|
|2nd/6th Period||9:56 - 11:11|
|A Lunch||11:11 - 11:43|
|3rd/7th Period||11:17 - 12:32|
|B Lunch||12:32 - 1:04|
|4th/8th Period||1:10 - 2:25|
APP is a daily intervention to help students of all levels of achievement improve their academic performance. 1st period teachers will assist students by assigning them to the proper intervention depending on the student’s need. Students will have planners that teachers will stamp to direct students to the level of support needed. Some of the interventions students will be directed to attend include study halls, individual study, individual help from teachers, test re-takes, and make up assignments, and further instruction from the teacher. Students will sign in using their student number on a keypad in the classroom where they will be spending APP. Students who do not sign in will be marked absent. APP is a required class for all students at HHS.
Thank you and welcome to another great school year at Hillcrest!
Upcoming Events:May 18- 29, Arena Scheduling is Open for Next Year
- Aug 15-19, Production/Stag Crew New York Tour
- Aug 17, Cross Country Highland Invitational Sugarhouse Park
- Aug 17, 3:30 p.m. Soccer @ Hillcrest East Midvale Elementary
- Aug 17, 7:00 p.m. Football @ Hillcrest
- Aug 18, Volleyball Tournament @ Skyline
- Aug 21, 8:00 a.m. Freshmen Orientation Large Gym
- Aug 21, 3:30 p.m. Soccer @ Hillcrest East Midvale Elementary
- Aug 21, 3:30 p.m. Tennis @ Hunter High School
- Aug 22, 7:30 a.m. First Day of School
- Aug 23 -24, 2:30 p.m. After school schedule change in cafeteria
- Aug 23, 7:00 p.m. Welcome Back Stomp
- Aug 23, 3:30 p.m. Tennis @ Granger High School
- Aug 23, 6:00 p.m. Volleyball @ Hillcrest High School
- Aug 24, 7:00 p.m. Football @ Murray High School
- Aug 27, 3:30 p.m. Soccer @ Cyprus High School
- Aug 28, 3:30 p.m. Tennis @ Kearns High School
- Aug 28, 6:00 p.m. Volleyball @ Hillcrest High School
- Aug 28-29, 2:30 p.m. Musical Auditions in Auditorium
- Aug 29, Volleyball Freshmen League @ Hillcrest High School
- Aug 29, 3:30 p.m. Soccer @ Hillcrest East Midvale Elementary
- Aug 30-31, 2:30 p.m. Musical Call Backs in Auditorium
- Aug 30, 3:30 p.m. Tennis @ Cyprus High School
- Aug 30. 6:00 p.m. Volleyball @ Hillcrest High School
- Aug 31, 7:00 p.m. Football @ Highland High School