Hillcrest High School
May 10, 2018
The time has come to have our official groundbreaking for the new H-Town. The groundbreaking will be held May 31st on the softball field in the back of the school. There will be a reception starting at 5:30pm with a short ceremony at 6:00pm. We hope you will join us for this exciting event! See attached flyer for more info on the reception and groundbreaking- Groundbreaking Flyer
As construction begins, information will be forwarded to you on parking and safety as students attend school during a 2-3 year construction process. Westland construction will start by clearing softball fields, tennis courts and re-routing the canal in the back of the school. This will clear space for the new HHS athletic center and field house. We most likely will be using these new facilities in the 2020 school year. As we begin this process, it will be important to stay informed.
Many events happen at the end of a school year in a high school. I would like to comment on a few so you are all better informed:
- Arena scheduling opens for the 1st time on May 18th through the 29th. Students should have a copy of their schedule by then and will be able make adjustments based on class openings. Instructions can be found on the HHS web page and the HHS counselor web page.
- The morning of May 30th is our academic letter breakfast for students who applied for and earned an academic letter. These students have a 3.5 GPA in core academic subjects such as Math, Science, Language Arts and Social studies. This is a cool event and we do it up right for students. We hire Midvale Mining Company and serve around 200 students. We hope to see your students achieve this well-deserved award.
- May 30th is our senior IB celebration in downtown SLC at the Sheraton. We will be celebrating those seniors who have completed the hard road of IB requirements for graduation. If you have an IB senior you should have received an invitation.
- On May 31st, after our ground breaking ceremony, is our senior awards night ceremony beginning at 7:00 pm. HHS feels it has a great balance of honoring seniors and keeping the show moving. We have so many wonderful things to celebrate we could be at the school all night. We are well organized and have a good time honoring these awesome students. Senior Awards Night is by invitation only. Students and their families who are invited to participate will receive an invitation in the mail by May 23rd.
- Final locker clean out is on the 31st for all students. Parents should know we are not able to store left items. Items will be donated to family shelters.
- Friday, June 1st is our Yearbook stomp. We will not charge for this event. This is a chance for students to receive their yearbooks early if they have all their skyward fines paid and have purchased a yearbook. The main office will close at 10:30 am to be ready for yearbook stomp. Seniors will line up first and then we will excuse students for the day to attend. We will have music, shade, pop and chips for the students and usually we can count on a few food trucks to be on site. Yearbook stomp will end at 4:00 pm.
- Tuesday June 5th is graduation starting at 10:00 am. Parents should know that most of our teachers will be at graduation and teachers here at school will lead students in activities. Normal academic classes will not occur on that day.
- Parents should be aware that June 6th will be a regular school day, at least as regular as we can make it given it is the day before school ends.
As the weather warms, we are seeing an uptick in student’s dress code violations. Please help us address dress code issues by sharing the dress code with your students and helping students wear clothing that is appropriate for the school environment. If a student is found to be in violation of the dress code, they will be asked to change their clothing. If they do not have appropriate clothing with them, students will be expected to call parents to provide them with appropriate clothing. Thank you in advance for your help!
1. Student Dress Code Standards:
- 1.1 Students shall dress in a manner suitable to the day’s activities consistent with the standards of health, safety, and acceptable behavior.
- 1.2 Student clothing and accessories must not present a health or safety hazard or distraction, which would disrupt the educational mission. Disruption is defined as reactions by other individuals to the clothing or adornment, which causes the teacher/administrator to lose the attention of students, to modify or cease instructional activities, or deal with student confrontations or complaints.
- 1.3 Dress code standards prohibit: immodest or suggestive clothing; apparel advocating illegal or inappropriate behavior or language; head wear; gang symbols; disruptive apparel; and unsafe apparel.
- 1.3.1. Students shall not wear clothes that are mutilated, cut off, or immodest. (e.g., short shorts, mini-skirts, bare midriffs, halter-tops, spaghetti straps, tank shirts, or similar clothing).
- 1.3.2. Clothing shall cover the midriff, underwear, backs, and cleavage at all times. Skirts, dresses and shorts must be at least mid-thigh length or longer when seated.
- May 8-9, Region Tennis Tournament @ Granger High School
- May 9, 3:00 p.m. Volleyball Open Gym
- May 9-10, 3:30 p.m. Track & Field Region 2 Championship
- May 11, State Choir Competition
- May 11, During both Lunches, Josten Delivers Cap & Gowns
- May 11, 7:00 p.m. LIA Social in Large Gym
- May 12, 6:00 p.m. Utah High School Theatre Award @ Eccles Theater
- May 15-17, College Placement Testing Accuplacer
- May 15, 2:45 p.m. School of Life @ A200
- May 16, 3:00 p.m. Volleyball Open Gym
- May 16, 5:30 p.m. Football Parent Meeting in Large Gym
- May 17, 10:30 a.m. Junior Husky Graduation
- May 17-19, State Orchestra Competition
- May 17-18, 8:00 a.m. Track & Field @ BYU (State Championships)
- May 17, 5:30 p.m. Softball Banquet @ STEM Building
- May 17-19, 7:00 p.m. Beautiful Game Production in Auditorium
- May 18- 29, Arena Scheduling is Open for Next Year
- May 21-24, 3:30 p.m. Boys’ Basketball Skills Game
- May 21, 7:00 p.m. Dance Company Banquet @ Dance Studio
- May 22, 3:45 p.m. School of Life in room A200
- May 22, 3:00 p.m. National Honor Society Social
- May 22, 7:00 p.m. Choir Concert in the Auditorium
- May 23-25, AP Test Make Up
- May 23, 6:00 p.m. Cross-Country Parent Meeting In Media Center
- May 23, 7:00 p.m. Instrumental Music Concert in the Auditorium
- May 24, 7:00 p.m. Dance Show Case in Auditorium
- May 25, 12:00 p.m. Senior Decision Day
- May 26, 11:00 a.m. Music Social
- May 26, 7:00 p.m. CALLIE Awards in Auditorium
- May 28, Memorial Day No School
- May 29-June 1, Art Show Case in AT200
- May 30, National Jr Honor Society Orientation
- May 30, 8:00 a.m. Academic Breakfast in the Cafeteria
- May 30, 3:00 p.m. Volleyball Open Gym in Large Gym
- May 30, 6:00 p.m. IB Senior Celebration Banquet
- May 31, 6:00 p.m. Ground Breaking for New Hillcrest High School
- May 31, 7:00 p.m. Senior Awards Night in the Auditorium
- June 1 & 4, 8:30 a.m. Mandatory Graduation Practice in Auditorium
- June 1, 7:00 p.m. Pop Concert in Auditorium
- June 1, 12:30 p.m. Yearbook Stomp at Soccer Field
- June 1, 11:00 a.m. Senior Panoramic Picture
- June 2, 7:00 p.m. Senior Dinner Dance at University Of Ut Stadium Tower
- June 4, Senior BBQ on Soccer Field after Mandatory Graduation Practice
- June 4, 1:30 p.m. Tradition Assembly
- June 5, 10:00 a.m. Graduation @ Maverick Center, West Valley City