Hillcrest Celebrates 2016 IB Graduates
The New Year is a time for pondering past achievements and future goals. So, as 2017 dawns, it’s fitting that we recognize the Hillcrest High students who, in 2016, earned International Baccalaureate Diplomas (IB) and Certificates. A special ceremony was held on Tuesday, Jan. 3 to recognize the IB Class of 2016: 38 IB diploma recipients, one career program recipient and about 54 certificate recipients. The event is held now because many of the former IB students are home for the holidays from their studies at universities and colleges across the country. The IB Diploma Programme aims to develop students who have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge and help them to flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
Auditions for 2017-18 Hillcrest PLT
Hey Huskies, tryout season is upon us! Are you confused about what classes to fill your schedule? Here are some questions to consider: Which classes will promote your own well-being? Which groups will look great on a résumé? Which organization, if any, serves for the betterment of others?
Students, look no further than your own Hillcrest Peer Leadership Team. But what is Peer Leadership Team? Let’s find out!
Q: What is Peer Leadership Team, and what do they do?
A: It’s in the title! PLT is a group of quality teens who strive to lead and provide a great example to peers around them of any age. PLT spends the first and third quarters of the year traveling to various elementary schools. They team teach kids how to be drug, alcohol, violence, and bully free, while maintaining good relationships with those around them. PLT spends second and fourth quarters providing service through tutoring elementary students in math and reading, tutoring special needs students at Jordan Valley, and providing companion service for the Alzheimer’s clients at Neighborhood House. Any spare time we do have is spent doing service to the community; writing thank-you notes to contributors; promoting a drug, violence, and alcohol free schools; and—promise not to tell?—having a blast!
Q: Who can try out? Who is eligible?
A: All juniors who are drug and alcohol free can try out. Tryouts are meant to test your ability to maintain a bright attitude in front of peers, especially kids. Anyone is willing to commit to serving others—while remaining an example of what PLT teaches—is eligible. Make the decision now to be drug, alcohol, bullying, and violence free! Don’t be shy; try out!
Q: Why should I try out?
A: To be a part of something bigger than yourself. And, to put it simply, PLT looks great on any résumé. Not only will you develop qualities that create a friendly environment around you, but you will learn how to help others develop those qualities as well. Furthermore, doing service and helping young kids fills any normal person with warm-fuzzies!
Q: Is there a specific class period for PLT?
A: Yes, it is always 8th period. Unfortunately, if you have another conflict this period or attend afternoon Tech Center, you will not be able to join.
Applications are available through the month of January (due on Feb 3rd). Pick up your application from Ms. Trelease, A-201. Individual tryouts will be held in February and March during 8th period.
Come join the fun and make lifelong changes to yourselves and others!
- January 12, 6:00 p.m. Wrestling @ Murray
- January 13, 6:00 p.m. Battle of the AX @ Brighton
- January 13 -14, Drill Invitational @ Corner Canyon
- January 13, 7:00 p.m. Boys ’Basketball @ Olympus
- January 13, 7:00 p.m. Girls ’Basketball @ HHS
- January 14, Wrestling Region Duals Championship @ Murray
- January 16, No School
- January 17, 3:00 p.m. Swimming @ Gene Fulmer W. Jordan
- January 17, 7:00 p.m. Boys ‘Basketball @ HHS
- January 17, 7:00 p.m. Girls ‘Basketball @ Murray
- January 18, 5:00 p.m. School Community Council in ACR
- January 18, End of Semester and 2nd Quarter
- January 18, 7:00 p.m. “Peter & the Starcatcher” In Little Theatre
- January 19, 3:00 p.m. Swimming @ Jordan (Treehouse Athletic Club)
- January 19, 6:00 p.m. Wrestling @ HHS
- January 19, 7:00 p.m. “Husbands & Sons” Auditorium
- January 20, No Students at School
- January 20-21, Wrestling Invitational @ UVU
- January 20, 7:00 p.m. “Peter & The Starcatcher” Little Theatre
- January 20-21, All State Band/Orchestra
- January 21, Model UN @ USU
- January 21, Drill Region Championship @ HHS
- January 21, 2:00 p.m. “Peter & The Starcatcher” Little Theatre
- January 21, 7:00 p.m. “Husband & Sons” Auditorium
Distracted Driving Awareness Week downloads
Argonautika: The voyage of Jason and the Argonauts
2016 Hillcrest FBLA SLC Results
Outstanding Chapter: 2nd place